Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Can I Use A different Carriers Sim Card on My Tracfone?

This is one of the biggest questions I seem to find when it comes to Tracfone. The answer to that is NO. You cannot use a Tracfone sim on your XX carrier phone and you cannot use your XX carrier sim on your Tracfone. The reason why you cannot do this is because Tracfones have special firmware that allow/disallow sims, track your minutes, allows you to add minutes and a few other things. So the only SIM that will work on a Tracfone is a Tracfone SIM. How about unlocking the phone? I do not have any experience with this, however, I do know it can be done. Don't think this will allow you to use a Tracfone using Tracfone service for free. It simply does not work that way. All unlocking will allow you to do is to use a different carrier sim on a Tracfone. This appears to be desirable since you can get a Tracfone for under $20. It should be noted that Tracfone subsidizes the phone costs for their customers so when you do this, you are technically stealing. Not that I am the moral police or anything, just thought I would point that out. That being said, I don't know what how much it will cost you to unlock a phone or who can do it. So what can you do if you already have a phone but want to use it as a Tracfone? Well, the only way to get Tracfone service is to buy a Tracfone. There are plenty of models that can be had for under 20 bucks so getting one is not expensive. Unfortunately, there is no other way. As I mentioned before, all Tracfones have Tracfone's proprietary firmware and there is no way to download it or install it on a non Tracfone phone.

No comments: